Friday, August 04, 2006

Finally, It Has Sunk In... I'm Growing an Alien

May 21st, 2006, Sunday, I had just returned home from my week-long work trip in Vegas. It had been a very stressful month for me, both personally and professionally. I gave very little thought to the fact that I had gone period-less that month. And, when I realized the event that had gone missing that month, it was not a great surprise, given the month's hairiness. Besides, I can barely keep track of my conference calls, travel dates and whether or not I remembered to feed Frankie that day. Heck, I was not really sure when my day was to come! Still, for some reason, maybe an itch of responsibility, or a sign from God above, I felt compelled to take a home pregnancy test. I was thoroughly convinced of the results before I even saw them. In fact, I did my business on the stick and went about unpacking my suitcases... Laundry, ugh!

Oh! The test. I went back in to have a peak.

Positive.


Numbness. Disbelief. I stared blankly at the pink line forming a cross in an utter stupor. ‘What does this mean’ I kept asking myself despite the crystal clear instructions (and illustration!) all over the packaging. I stood there for what seemed to be eternity. And, then, I heard a small shaky voice eke out of my throat, “Hey Connor, you better come up here...(voice crack)”

***************************

We hopped in the car and drove straight to Target (where else?) where we bought one of each type of home pregnancy test kit they carried. Digital, not digital, Clearblue, the cheap-o brand…

Then, we raced home and I promptly did the deal with all the test sticks!
Postive * Pregnant * Positive
By Sunday night, it was looking like we were pregnant. Yikes! But, with so many questions.

The top of both of our lists: How??? Yes we know how, but not really. We were using what is advertised to be a 97% effective form of birth control! It was all very confusing. [Yes, you must insert the famous 'Friends' episode here when Ross finds out Rachel is pregnant]

OMG, what a tremendous surprise!

We ultimately came to only one conclusion—this child is meant to be. God is in control and it is His Will for this child to be here at this time.

Surreal. It is a beautiful surprise that we are embracing. I am filled with gratitude. God is great!

Prego @ 18 weeks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
P.S. For those of you with more time on your hands, or an abundance of curiosity, you may like to know that there is actually much more to this simple suprise pregnancy story. I have been through MANY surprises - not all good ones. I must say this, BE PROACTIVE ABOUT YOUR HEALTHCARE. No one else will for you. And, choose wisely who you entrust your health (future) to! As soon as I can figure out how to post a Word Doc here (geez, I know, I work with computers all day!), I'll post the story of what happened to me here. But, don't worry. The ending is a happy one!

No comments: